Monday 17 March 2008

Daniel O'Connell - Chicken Parmigiana

"The best mushroom gravy in SA" I had been told by several friends. So what did I get? A Chicken Parmigiana (of course). It was a hot night in the city as I walked into the Dan, an Irish pub in North Adelaide. The bar looked nice, welcoming but the best part was the AC. Moving into the dining area I encountered my first shock for the evening: Schnitzel Lover Segregation... we don't serve your kind here, move out to the beer garden if you want a schnitzel. Given the outside temperature and the fact that the restaurant (a glorified bistro) was almost entirely empty, this was an extremely poor move made by the establishment.

P3130242The serving of the parmi was on the slow side, made more evident by the semi empty dining areas. The meal was well presented, making it more difficult to believe we were kicked out of the restaurant.

The salad was tasty, the chips were crisp and well seasoned and I thought I was onto a winner. Was I ever wrong. The cheese was overcooked, making it difficult to remove a piece of schnitzel to eat without taking the entire topping off with it. The sauce was canned peeled tomatoes and could have been modified a little to make it look like some effort had gone into preparing it. The worst thing? Gristle! The first occurrence in over 50 schnitzel battles. The price, small serving size, poor service and low quality schnitzel make this difficult to recommend.

Price: $16.90

Rating: 1 star

No comments: