Saturday 5 April 2008

General Havelock - King Beef Havey Schnitty

A General with a pub and schnitzel topping named after him; after I go to schnitzel heaven I hope I'll be be given a similar treatment.

The outdoor seating and front bar gives the Havelock plenty of room for someone looking for that after work brew. The bistro was practically empty, perhaps due to the ineptitude of some staff... Yep, never has it been more difficult to order a schnitzel. At least I had a good laugh as the staff failed several times in their attempts to understand the phrase "Chicken Havey Schnitty" that my mate said pretty clearly.

Anyway, I'm normally a chicken man but when some place names a meal the "600g King Beef Schnitzel" I take it as a challenge. I chose the Havey topping to go with the 600g monster; an intriguing combination of cheese, mushrooms, bacon, & BBQ sauce.

28-03-08_1920

The prompt service was a welcome surprise after the ordering amusement seen earlier. The presentation of the schnitzel impressed me and I found myself anticipating my first bite.

The chips and salad were standard pub fair, nothing to get excited about. The schnitzel though was tasty and cooked well. The bacon and mushrooms formed an excellent combination and were the best part of the meal.

Sadly the schnitzel failed during the later stage of the meal as the sweetness of the BBQ sauce became too prominent. Furthermore, at 20.40 the schnitzel was a little overpriced with the size and quality not matching the similarly priced Coopers Ale House Mediterranean. All up a good, but not perfect meal.

Price: $20.40

Rating: 3.5 stars

No comments: