Sunday 20 April 2008

Daniel O'Connell - Chicken with Mushroom Gravy

My last visit to the Dan did not go well. I was kicked outside on a 35 degree plus night and had an average schnitzel. The latter was partially my fault, many had recommended the mushroom gravy but I stuck to my guns and went the chicken parmigiana. After two 4 star reviews from fellow Schnitzel Lovers and further recommendations it was time to return to the Dan.

We found ourselves in the Lounge Bar of the Dan. Not a bad spot, made better by the ability to order from both the bar and bistro menu. As always I asked the staff for a menu and, prior to reading it, ordered a schnitzel. It wasn't long before the almost legendary chicken with mushroom arrived at my table.

18-04-08_2024

The Dan serves up some of the finest chips in SA. They were seasoned and cooked very well and just taste good. The salad was fresh, well dressed and presented nicely on the plate.

Moving quickly into the schnitzel I soon discovered what others were raving about... the gravy. The gravy looks like a GB but tastes fantastic. The Dan's mushroom gravy almost definitely consists of some form of pureed mushrooms cooked into the sauce from the start. This is far superior to the all too common plain gravy with a few mushrooms thrown in you'll find elsewhere.

The other aspects of the schnitzel weren't as grand as the gravy. The schnitzel was only an average size and for the price it would be nice to see something a little bigger. Also, I was unfortunate to discover a bit of chicken vein in the meat... not meal ending but briefly off-putting. I guess this points to the schnitzel not being reconstituted which I suppose is a good thing.

If you're a mushroom gravy lover then the Dan is the place to be... otherwise you may be better looking elsewhere.

Price: $15.90

Rating: 3.5 stars

No comments: